Wing is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Wingberry, Littleworth, Ascott, Burcott, and Crafton.
Parish registers begin: 1546
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Wing
- Aston Abbots
- Drayton Beauchamp
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WING, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Leighton-Buzzard district, Bucks. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Leighton-Buzzard r. station, and has a post-office under Leighton-Buzzard.—The parish includes 4 hamlets, and comprises 5,310 acres. Real property, £9,331. Pop. in 1851, 1,376; in 1861, 1,504. Houses, 306. The property is subdivided. W. park belonged to the Dormers, passed to the Earl of Chesterfield, and was bought by Lord Overstone; but the mansion of it has been taken down. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £400. Patron, Lord Overstone. The church is of different periods, from Saxon or early Norman onwards; and was restored in 1850. An alien priory was at Ascott. There are parochial schools, alms houses for 8 persons, and other charities £18.—The sub-district contains 3 parishes. Acres, 11,010. Pop., 2,492. Houses, 500.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Wing, 4 m. N.W. Ivinghoe. P. 1274
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Leighton Buzzard
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Post-1844 – Oxford, Pre-1845 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Mursley
- Poor Law Union: Leighton Buzzard
- Hundred: Cottesloe
- Province: Canterbury