Maids Moreton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish church: St. Edmund
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Maids Moreton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MAIDS-MORETON, a parish in the district and county of Buckingham; on the Buckingham canal, 1 mile NE of Buckingham town and r. station. Post town, Buckingham. Acres, 1,260. Real property, £2,980; of which £12 are in the canal. Pop., 543. Houses, 124. The property is divided among a few. One manor belongs to the Duke of Buckingham; and another is leased by the Rev. W. A. Uthwatt, from All Souls college, Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £294. Patron, Mrs. A. Uthwatt. The church was built in 1450, by two maiden sisters, daughters of Lord Peover; took thence the name of Maids-Moreton, and gave that name to the parish; is a beautiful specimen of later English; comprises nave and chancel, with two porches and W embattled tower; has a very curious W door, “a projecting panelled battlement, supported by rich fantracery, springing from the jamb mouldings;” and contains a Gothic screen, three sedilia, a fine font, and several ancient brasses and monuments. There are a national school, a poor’s allotment yielding £90 a year, and other charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Maidsmoreton, 1 mile N. Buckingham. P. 570.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Moreton, Maid’s, co. Buckingham.
P. T. Buckingham (53) 1 m. N E. Pop. 407.
A parish in the hundred of Buckingham, it derived its name, according to Browne Willis, from its moorish situation, and the daughters of Lord Peover, two maidens, who built the church about the year 1450. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Lincoln; valued in K. B. 18l. 2s. 11d.; patron, the King, by reason of lunacy. The church, which is dedicated to St. Edmund, consists of a nave, a chancel, with a small vestry on the south side, and a curiously-constructed tower at the west end. The windows are in the large handsome style of Norman architecture, and display several fragments of painted glass; the roof of the chancel, the porches, and the tower entrance, are elegantly decorated with light tracery ornaments.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Buckinghamshire
- Civil Registration District: Buckingham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham
- Diocese: Pre-1845 – Lincoln, Post-1844 – Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Post-1844 – Buckingham, Pre-1845 – None
- Poor Law Union: Buckingham
- Hundred: Buckingham
- Province: Canterbury