Wytham, Berkshire Family History Guide



Wytham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.

Parishes adjacent to Wytham

  • Wolvercott
  • Cassington
  • Seacourt
  • Cumnor
  • Yarnton

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WYTHAM, a parish in Abingdon district, Berks; 2½ miles NNW of Oxford r. station. It has a post-office under Oxford. Acres, 1,670. Real property, £2,137. Pop., 176. Houses, 39. The manor, with W. Abbey, a mansion, with a tower dating from the time of Henry VI., belongs to the Earl of Abingdon. A castle of the Saxon kings stood on W. hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150. Patron, the Earl of Abingdon. The church was rebuilt in 1812.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Wyntham, 7 m. N. Abingdon. P. 189

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Administration

  • County: Berkshire
  • Civil Registration District: Abingdon
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
  • Diocese: Pre-1836 – Salisbury, Post-1835 – Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Abingdon
  • Poor Law Union: Abingdon
  • Hundred: Hormer
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Parish church:
  • Parish registers begin: 1558
  • Nonconformists include:


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.