West Hendred, Berkshire Family History Guide


West Hendred is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.

Other places in the parish include: East Ginge and Sparsholt Court.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to West Hendred

  • West Ilsley
  • Garford
  • Ardington
  • East Lockinge
  • Steventon
  • Wantage
  • Marcham
  • West Hanney
  • East Hendred
  • Sutton Courtenay

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HENDRED (WEST or LITTLE), a parish in Wantage district, Berks; on a small affluent of the river Thames, 3 miles SW by S of Steventon r. station, and 3¼ E of Wantage. It includes the tythings of East Ginge and Sparsholt Court; and its post town is East Hendred under Wantage. Acres, 1,973. Real property, £3,078. Pop., 351. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £751. Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church has an embattled tower, and is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Hendred (West), 2½ m. E. Wantage. P. 320.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Marriages

Marriages at West Hendred 1558-1837

Marriages at West Hendred 1558-1837 – UK Genealogy Archives

Administration

  • County: Berkshire
  • Civil Registration District: Wantage
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
  • Diocese: Post-1835 – Oxford, Pre-1836 – Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Abingdon
  • Poor Law Union: Wantage
  • Hundred: Wantage
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.