Aldermaston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558
Parishes adjacent to Aldermaston
- Beenham Valence
- Stratfield Mortimer
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALDERMASTON, or Admiston, a village and a parish in Bradfield district, Berks. The village stands at the influx of the Emborne to the Kennet, 8 miles E of Newbury; and it has a station, 1½ mile distant, on the Great Western railway and a post office under Reading. It was formerly a market town; and it still has fairs on 6 May, 7 July, and 11 Oct. The Earl of Essex occupied it in 1644. The parish comprises 3,669 acres. Real pro perty, £4,718. Pop., 585. Houses, 129. The property is not much divided. Much of the surface is heathy. The park of Aldermaston Court includes 1,000 acres; and is one of the wildest and most diversified in the south of England. The mansion on it is a Tudor edifice, built in 1851; and contains many interesting relics of a remarkable structure which preceded it, the seat of the Forsters and the Congreves; and the old lodges, with spired tower and roof, are still standing. An ancient camp occurs near Aldermaston Soak. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value and patron, not reported. The church is an ancient edifice, with fine Norman doorway and interesting monuments.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aldermaston, a parish and market-town in the hund. of Theale, union of Bradfield, Berks; 8 miles east of Newbury, to the south of the post-road to Reading. It stands on the river Kennet, which is here navigable. Living, formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in the dio. of Oxford; rated at £12 12s. 8½d. A market is held every Friday ; and there are fairs on the 6th May, 7th July, and 11th October, for horses, cattle, and pedlery. Pop., in 1801, 672; in 1831, 636. Houses 128. Acres 2,240. A. P. £3,596. Poor rates, in 1837, £285 — Aldermaston house, the seat of William Congreve, Esq., built in 1530, is remarkable for its fine old painted windows and its noble massive staircase adorned with statues. The hall is very lofty, and surrounded by a spacious gallery.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aldermaston, 7 miles S. E. Newbury. P. 662.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815
Aldermaston, (Berks.) A neat village, beautifully situated on an eminence that overlooks the river Kennet, and only 3 miles dist. from Silchester, the famous Roman station. It has 2 annual fairs, viz. May 6, and July 7. Population 678. Inn, the Hind’s head. A road on the left to Basingstoke.
Gentlemen’s Seats. Aldermaston House, (W. Congreve, esq.) and beyond on the right, Wasing House, (W. Mount, esq.)
Source: Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Bradfield
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Diocese: Post-1835 – Oxford, Pre-1836 – Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Reading
Poor Law Union: Bradfield