Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Leonard
Parish registers begin:
* Parish registers: 1670
* Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Stagsden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STAGSDEN, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; 4 ¾ miles W of Bedford r. station. It has a post-office under Bedford. Acres, 3,386. Real property, £3,794. Pop., 708. Houses, 140. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Dynevor. There is a chalybeate spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £350. Patrons, the Proprietors of the Bramham Estate. The church is very old. There are an Independent chapel and a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Stagsden, 4 m. W. Bedford P. 632
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Bedford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Clapham
Poor Law Union: Bedford