Moggerhanger Bedfordshire History

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MOGGERHANGER, or MUGGERHANGER, a village and a chapelry in Blunham parish, Beds. The village stands 1 mile SSW of Blunham r-station, 1¼ mile W of the river Ivel, and 4½ NW by N of Biggleswade; and has a post office under St. Neots. The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Charlton, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 503. Houses, 96. Moggerhanger House is the seat of F. Dawkins, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £100. Patron, F. Dawkins, Esq. The church was built in 1861, by the late Mrs. Dawkins, as a memorial to her deceased husband, the Rev. E. H. Dawkins; is in the early Norman style, of Kempston stone and Silsoe red sandstone, with pillars of Ancaster stone; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and apsidal chancel, with a central tower; and contains a splendid brass monument to the Rev. E. H. Dawkins, over his remains.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Moggerhanger, in Blunham parish. P. 425.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.