Lower Gravenhurst Bedfordshire Family History Guide



Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1705
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Lower Gravenhurst

Historical Descriptions


The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Gravenhurst (Lower), a parish in Flitt hund., union of Ampthill, county of Bedford; 5½ miles east-south-east of Ampthill. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £7 12s. 11d.; gross income £244. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. Tithes commuted in 1820. Acres 1,240. Houses 8. A.P. £1.435. Pop., in 1801, 48; in 1831, 77.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Gravenhurst, (Lower), 2 m. S.E. Selsoe. P. 50

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ampthill
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Fleete
  • Poor Law Union: Ampthill
  • Hundred: Flitt
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.