Bletsoe a parish in the hundred of Willey and county of Bedfordshire. The petty sessions for the hundred of Barford, Stodden, and Willey, were occasionally held here.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1582
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Parishes adjacent to Bletsoe
- Milton Ernest
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLETSOE, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, and on the Midland railway, 1½ mile SSE of Sharnbrook r. station, and 6 NNW of Bedford. It has a post office under Bedford. Acres, 2,239. Real property, £4,021. Pop., 412. Houses, 80. The property is all in one estate; and belonged once to the Pateshulls and the Beauchamps. An old castle, now a farmhouse, was the seat of the ancestors of Lord St. John of Bletsoe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £316. Patron, Lord St. John. The church contains tombs of the St. John family and of Frances Countess of Bolingbroke. Charities, £13.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bletsoe, 6 m. N. Bedford. P. 420.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Bletsoe, co. Bedford.
P. T. Bedford (50) 6½ m. NNW. Pop. 383.
A parish in the hundred of Willey; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; valued in K. B. 17 l.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron, Lord St. John. The petty sessions for the hundred of Barford, Stodden, and Willey, are occasionally held here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- Bletsoe England and Wales Census, 1841 at FamilySearch
- Bletsoe England and Wales Census, 1861 at FamilySearch
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Bedford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Clapham
- Poor Law Union: Bedford
- Hundred: Willey
- Province: Canterbury