A parish and township including Little Billington in the hundred of Manshead. It is a chapel to the vicarage of Leighton Buzzard. The civil parish of Billington, comprising Great and Little Billington, was formed out of the civil parish of Leighton-Buzzard. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1810.
Alternative names: Great Billington
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653; the earlier registers form part of those of Leighton Buzzard
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist.
Public Elementary School (mixed), built (with house for mistress) in 1863, for 80 children.
Parishes adjacent to Billington
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Billington, 2m. S. Leighton-Buzzard. P. 335.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Billington, Great, co. Bedford.
P. T. Leighton Buzzard (41) 2 m. SE. Pop. including the hamlet of Little Billington 237.
A parish and township including Little Billington in the hundred of Manshead. It is a chapel to the vicarage of Leighton Buzzard, in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; of the clear yearly value of 20 l.; patronage with Leighton Buzzard vicarage.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Leighton Buzzard
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Leighton Buzzard
- Diocese: Pre-1846 – Lincoln, Post 1845 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1852 – None, Post – 1851 – Dunstable
- Poor Law Union: Leighton Buzzard
- Hundred: Manshead
- Province: Canterbury