Aspley Guise is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Parish church: St Botolph
Parish registers begin: 1563
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Aspley Guise
- Wavendon, Buckinghamshire
- Husborne Crawley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASPLEY-GUISE, a parish in Woburn district, Beds; 1½ mile WNW of Ridgemount r. station, and 2 N of Woburn. It has a post office under Woburn; and formerly had a market. Acres, 1,936. Real property, £4,815. Pop., 1,437. Houses, 324. The property is sub-divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Guises. Aspley House and Aspley Guise House are chief residences. Aspley Heath and Aspley Wood give fine views. Fuller’s earth occurs. The living is a rec tory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £325. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is elegant; and a new church and three dissenting chapels are at Woburn-Sands.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aspley Guise, 2 m. N.E. Woburn. P. 1139
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Aspley-Guise, a parish in the hund. of Manshead, union of Woburn, county of Bedford; 2 miles north by west from Woburn. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £15 16s. 10½d. ; gross income £215. Patron, in 1835, the duke of Bedford. All tithes, moduses, &c., the property of the clerical rector, were commuted in 1760. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel here. A daily school was begun in 1833; there is also a boarding school for boys. A small portion of this parish stretches into Buckinghamshire. Pop., in 1801, 679; in 1831, 1,014. Houses 196. Acres 1,960. A. P. £2,544. Poor rates, in 1837, £281.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Aspley-Guise, co. Bedford.
P. T. Woburn (41) 2 m. N b W. Pop. 848.
A parish in the hundred of Manshead; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln; charged in K. B. 15l. 16s. 10½d.; church ded. to St. Botolph; patron (1829) Duke of Bedford. Fullers earth is produced in this parish, and there is also a spring to which petrifying qualities are ascribed.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Aspley Guise Schools
1818 Digest of Returns to Circular Letter from the Select Committee on Education of the Poor, &c.
|Un-Endowed Day Schools||Un-Endowed Day Schools|
Schools – none.
Sunday Schools – A Sunday school, supported by voluntary contributions, in which 60 girls and 30 boys are instructed; and a classical and commercial school.
Observations – The poorer classes are desirous of having the means of education.
Notes – Return signed by Thomas Farmer, rector.
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Woburn
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Post-1836 – Ely, Pre-1837 – Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Fleete
- Poor Law Union: Woburn
- Hundred: Manshead
- Province: Canterbury