Arlesey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Alternative names: Arlsey
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Arlesey
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Arlsey, 26½ m. S.E. Shefford. P. 820
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Arlsey, a parish in the hund. of Clifton, union of Biggleswade, county of Bedford; 4 miles north west of Baldock. Living, a discharged vicarage united to the rectory of Astwick, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £8; gross income £300. Patron, in 1835, F. Gapte. There are two Sunday schools in the parish. The great and small tithes, the property of the lord of the manor and the vicar, were commuted in 1804. Pop., in 1801, 404; in 1831, 688. Houses 126. Acres 2,370. A. P. £3,203. Poor rates, in 1837, £248.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Arlsey, co. Bedford.
P. T. Baldock. (37) 4 m. NW. Pop. 562.
A parish in the hundred of Clifton; living, a discharged vicarage, united to the rectory of Astwick, in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; charged in K. B. 8l.; church ded. to St. Peter; patron (1829) R. Houston, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Arlsey, a parish in the hundred of Clifton, county of Bedford, 4¾ miles (N.W. by W.) from Baldock, containing 562 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, united with the rectory of Astwick, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln rated in the king’s books at £8. R. Houston, Esq. was patron in 1824. The church is dedicated to St. Peter.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Arlesey Schools 1818
Schools – none
Sunday Schools – A Sunday school, established and supported by Sir John Jackson, containing about 37 boys and 30 girls.
Observations – The poor are desirous of having the means of education.
Notes – Return signed by J. Atkinson, vicar.
Source: 1818 Digest of Returns to Circular Letter from the Select Committee on Education of the Poor, &c.
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Shefford
- Poor Law Union: Biggleswade
- Hundred: Clifton
- Province: Canterbury