Tedburn St Mary

Tedburn St Mary, Devon Family History

Tedburn St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.

Other places in the parish include: Taphouse.

Alternative names: St Mary Tedburn

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Tedburn St Mary

  • Oldridge
  • Dunsford
  • Whitestone
  • Crediton
  • Cheriton Bishop
  • Holcombe Burnell

Historical Descriptions

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Tedburn (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of West-Wonford, Crockernwell and S. divisions of Devon, 4 ½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Crediton ; containing 867 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Exeter to Oakhampton, and comprises 3612 acres, of which 351 are common or waste. A cattle-fair is held on the Monday before Michaelmas-day. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £8. 6. 3., and in the gift of the Rev. Charles Burne: the tithes have been commuted for £400, and the glebe comprises 38 ½ acres. At Hackworthy, in the parish, was formerly a chapel of ease.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Administration

  • County: Devon
  • Civil Registration District: St Thomas
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
  • Diocese: Exeter
  • Rural Deanery: Dunsford
  • Poor Law Union: St Thomas
  • Hundred: Wonford
  • Province: Canterbury