Talaton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Places in Talaton parish include: Fairmile
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1621
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian
Talaton (St. James), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of Hayridge, Cullompton and N. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from St. Mary Ottery; containing 462 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 2100 acres, of which 87 are common : the London and Exeter road runs through it. Escott House, here, which was destroyed by fire in 1808, was erected in the reign of James II., and several of the men employed in the work were tried by Judge Jefferies, and sentenced to be hanged in this parish, for having joined in the rebellion of the Duke of Monmonth. George III., and three of the princesses, were entertained in the mansion by Sir George Young, Bart., on the 14th of August, 178O. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £32. 3. 1½., and in the gift of the incumbent, the Rev. R. P. Welland: the tithes have been commuted for £333; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 62 acres. The church is in the later English style, with a very hand-some tower, and contains several canopied niches having figures of saints, and a beautiful wooden screen, with a flight of stone steps leading to a rood-loft. A church was erected at Escott, by Sir J. Kennaway, at an expense of more than £2000, and consecrated on the 8th of May, 1840; the east and west windows, of large dimensions, are embellished with painted glass. Dr. Thomas Sprat, Bishop of Rochester, an historian and poet, was born here in 1636, when his father was rector; and Southcote, situated within the limits of the parish, was the occasional residence of Sir William Pole, the antiquary.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Fairmile, a hamlet in Ottery-St. Mary and Tallaton parishes, Devon; 1¾ mile NE by N of Ottery-St. Mary. It has a country hotel, and commands a fine distant view of Dartmoor.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].