South Tawton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Ash, Dishcomb, Fulford, Gooseford, Gooseford Week, Widden Down, Itton, Ramsley, South Zeal, Taw Green, Whiddon Down, and Gooseford Wick.
Parish registers begin: 1541
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Zeal (South), a village in South Tawton parish, Devon; 4 ¼ miles ESE of Okehampton. It was once a borough and a market-town; and it has a fine granite cross, a Wesleyan chapel, and an old school house supposed to have been a Roman Catholic chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].