Shaugh Prior is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Devon, created in 1810 from chapelry in Plympton St Maurice Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Lee Moor.
Parish registers begin: 1565
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian and Wesleyan Methodist.
Shaugh-Prior, a village and a parish in Plympton-St. Mary district, Devon. The village stands on the river Plym, near the confluence of the Mew and the Cad, under the SW side of Dartmoor, 1 mile E of Bickleigh r. station, and 7 NE of Plymouth; is surrounded with very romantic scenery; and has a small inn. The parish comprises 8,707 acres. Post-town, Horrabridge, Devon. Real property, £3,022. Pop., 570. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. Shaugh bridge, Dewerstone rock, and the Dartmoor tors are striking features. Porcelain clay is extensively worked; iron and tin ores are mined; and fire bricks and sanitary ware are manufactured. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Sampford-Spiney, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is ancient but good, and has a lofty tower. Charities, £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].