Ottery St Mary is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Wiggaton, Alfington, Alphington, Cadhay, Fluxton, Fairmile, Gosford, Rill, and West Hill.
Parish registers begin: 1601
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Ottery (St. Mary), 161 miles S.W. London, and 12 m. E. Exeter. Mrkt, Tues. P. 4194.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Fairmile, a hamlet in Ottery-St. Mary and Tallaton parishes, Devon; 1¾ mile NE by N of Ottery-St. Mary. It has a country hotel, and commands a fine distant view of Dartmoor.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].