Crediton, Devon Family History¶
Crediton is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Devon. Sandford is a chapelry of Crediton.
Other places in the parish include: Uton, Woodland, Yeoford, Cannon Fee, Crediton Borough, Crediton Town, Knowle, Posbury, Rudge, and Ufford.
Parish registers begin: 1557
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Plymouth Brethren, Presbyterian Unitarian, Society of Friends/Quaker, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Crediton¶
- Down St Mary
- Upton Hellions
- Cheriton Bishop
- Tedburn St Mary
- Newton St Cyres
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850¶
Crediton, 180 miles S.W. London, and 8 m. N.W. Exeter. Mrkt. Sat. P 5947
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845¶
Uton, a tything, in the parish, union and hundred of Crediton, Crediton and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (WSW) from Crediton; containing 384 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Crediton
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - None, Post-1847 - Kenn
- Poor Law Union: Crediton
- Hundred: Crediton
- Province: Canterbury