Aylesbeare is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin: 1580
Aylesbear, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands on the eastern declivity of the bold range of hills, between the basins of the Otter and the Exe, 3½ miles S by W of Whimple r. station, and 8 E of Exeter. It has a post-office under Exeter; is a very straggling place; and was anciently the inheritance of the Earls of Devon, and then bore the name of Earlesbear. The parish includes also the tything of Newton-Poppleford. Acres, 2,948. Real property, £3,530. Pop., 1,079. Houses, 227. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £210. Patron, the Rev. W. H. Carwithen. The church is an ancient edifice, of nave, chancel, north aisle, and western tower; and contains a memorial window to Cecilia Yates, and mural tablets to the Markers, the Stokes, and others. The p. curacy of Newton-Poppleford is a separate benefice. There is an Independent chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].