Awliscombe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon
Parish registers begin: 1559
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian and Wesleyan Methodist.
Awliscombe, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands near the river Otter, and near the Yeovil and Exeter railway, 2 miles WNW of Honiton. It has a post-office under Honiton; and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 2,569 acres. Real property, £4,022. Pop., 579. Houses, 125. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given, in 1491, by Thomas Calwoodley, to the corporation of Exeter; but comprised then only 203 ½ acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £213. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is a neat Gothic edifice, mostly rebuilt in 1846; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles; and has a beautiful carved stone screen, and a tower. There are a Unitarian chapel, and charities £10. Thomas Charde, the last abbot of Ford, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].