Abbotsham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Shepperton and Littleham.
Parish registers begin: 1653
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Abbotsham, 2 m. W. Bideford. P.414.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Abbotsham (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Bideford, hundred of Shebbear, Great Torrington and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (W.) from Bideford; containing with the hamlets of Shepperton and Littleham, 414 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the shore of Barnstaple Bay, is distinguished for a memorable victory over the Danes, who besieged the fortress, called Kenwith or Kenwic Castle, towards the close of the ninth century, on which occasion their main western army was routed, and 1200 of them, including their leader, slain, and their consecrated standard captured. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £16. 4. 7.; it is in the patronage of the Crown, and the owners and occupiers of land are the impropriators. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £32. 10., and the vicarial for £120; and there are nearly 34 acres of glebe. A school is partly supported by the principal proprietor of land, the vicar, and the curate.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
ABBOTSHAM, a parish in the hund. of Shebbear, union of Bideford, Devonshire ; 2 miles west from Bideford. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Barnstaple and dio. of Exeter, rated at £16 4s. 7d. ; gross income £170. Patron, the crown. There is a National school here. Pop., in 1801, 313; in 1831, 387. Houses 75. Acres 2,090. A. P. £2,481. Poor rates, in 1837, £106.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Abbottsham. a parish in the hundred of Shebbear, Devon, 1½ mile from Bideford, and 203 from London, near the shore of Barnstable Bay; containing: 59 houses and 313 inhabitants: the living is a vicarage, value 16l. 4s. 7d. patron, the king.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
SHEPPERTON, a hamlet in Abbotsham parish, Devon; 2 miles W of Bideford1).
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].