Hayton (near Brampton) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Faugh and Fenton and Talkin.
Parish registers begin: 1619
Talkin, a township in Hayton, parish, Cumberland; on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 3 ¼ miles SSE of Brampton. Real property, £2,609; of which £85 are in quarries. Pop., 310. Houses, 60.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Talkin, a township, in the parish of Hayton, union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 3 miles (SE by S) from Brampton; containing 344 inhabitants. The township comprises 2357 acres, of which 1400 are common or waste land; it is bounded on the west by the river Gelt, and contains quarries of freestone and limestone, and collieries. The tithes have been commuted for £129. 5., of which £33. 15. are payable to an impropriator, £45. 10. to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, and £50 to the vicar of Brampton. Three valuable gold clasps were discovered in the year 1790, on Netherton farm, where a battle was formerly fought.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.