Addingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Gamblesby, Glassonby, Hunsonby and Winskel, Hunsonby and Winskill, Little Salkeld, and Winskel.
Parish registers begin: 1601
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Addingham, a parish in Leath ward, union of Penrith, Cumberland; 6½ miles north-east of Penrith; containing the townships of Gamblesby, Glassonby, Hunsonby with Winskile, and Little Salkeld. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Carlisle; rated at £9 4s. 7d.; gross income £263. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Carlisle. It was held by the celebrated Dr Paley from 1792 to 1795. There is an endowed school here, which is free to the whole parish. In 1821 it was attended by from 40 to 60 chil dren. The endowment amounts to £70 a-year. About £13 are yearly distributed to the poor, from the rent of land, and the interest of another small charity. Pop., in 1801, 602; in 1831, 719. Houses 132. Acres 9,520. The Maiden way, as it is called, an ancient Roman road, runs through this parish; also the river Eden. At Little Salkeld there is a Druidical monument, commonly called Long Meg and her daughters, consisting of 67 stones arranged in a circle ot 350 feet diameter.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.