Maids Moreton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Buckinghamshire.
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Maidsmoreton, 1 mile N. Buckingham. P. 570.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Moreton, Maid’s, co. Buckingham.
P. T. Buckingham (53) 1 m. N E. Pop. 407.
A parish in the hundred of Buckingham, it derived its name, according to Browne Willis, from its moorish situation, and the daughters of Lord Peover, two maidens, who built the church about the year 1450. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Lincoln; valued in K. B. 18l. 2s. 11d.; patron, the King, by reason of lunacy. The church, which is dedicated to St. Edmund, consists of a nave, a chancel, with a small vestry on the south side, and a curiously-constructed tower at the west end. The windows are in the large handsome style of Norman architecture, and display several fragments of painted glass; the roof of the chancel, the porches, and the tower entrance, are elegantly decorated with light tracery ornaments.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.