Winkfield, Berkshire

Winkfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.

Alternative names: Winkfield with Ascot

Other places in the parish include: Ascot.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1564

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Society of Friends/Quaker.

Parishes adjacent to Winkfield with Ascot

  • Cranbourne
  • Bracknell
  • Sunninghill
  • Warfield

Historical Descriptions

Winkfield with Ascot

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Winkfield with Ascot, a parish in the hund. of Ripplesmere, union of Easthampstead, county of Berks; 5½ miles south-west by west of New Windsor. It includes the hamlets of Ascot, Bulbrook, and Hateley. Living, a vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in the dio. of Oxford; rated at £8 5s. 10d.; gross income £350. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £679 1s. 5d. due to the dean and chapter of Salisbury, and £339 10s. 8d. to the vicar. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Salisbury. In 1833 there were 9 daily schools in this parish. One of them is the free school, founded and endowed in 1710 for 21 boys and 21 girls, by the earl of Ranelagh. Three sums of £500 each were added to the endowment, namely, — by Thomas Maule, in 1715; Thomas Hatch, in 1783; and John Tow, in 1809. The annual revenue now amounts to upwards of £250, for which the children are clothed and educated. An apprentice fee of £5 is given with each boy. Annexed to the school is a chapel, also founded by the earl of Ranelagh, in which the schoolmaster, who must be in holy orders, performs divine service every day. An Industrial school was established here in 1835. The boys are employed half the day in horticulture; except in wet weather, when they are instructed in basket, mat, and rush, making. A piece of ground of 2½ acres is attached to the school, and cultivated by the boys. This establishment is chiefly supported by voluntary contributions. Other endowed charities, in 1834, £7 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £870. Acres 10,640. Houses 309. A. P. £7,084. Pop., in 1801, 1,465; in 1831, 2,009.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Winkfield with Ascot, 3 m. S.W. Windsor. P. 2178

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Ascot

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ascot, in Winkfield parish. P. 2178.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Ascot Heath

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Ascot Heath, celebrated for its race-course, in the parish of Winkfield, county of Berks, in the vicinity of the Great park of Windsor. The race course was made by William, duke of Cumberland. It has recently been very much improved, and presents an appearance of smoothness and evenness almost equal to the surface of a billiard table. The old weighing-house, the old stand of the judges, and the small room over it, have been removed from the north side of the course, and the obstruction which it formerly offered to the view, from the stands and from other parts of the course, is thus completely obviated. The judges’ seat has been placed immediately opposite to the site it formerly occupied, and a new stand has been erected behind it, from which all the signals can be given, in the most effective manner, at the same time that it affords a very commodious view round the whole course. The new weigh-house is situated a few yards above the Royal stand. The basement is appropriated to the weighing-room; the first floor, confined to the stewards and their personal friends, has an excellent view of the heath; the roof is furnished with steps, and is solely devoted to the use of the trainers and jockies. The Great Western railway runs about 3½ miles to the north of the heath; the post-road from Loudon to Basingstoke at the same distance on the south.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Administration

  • County: Berkshire
  • Civil Registration District: Easthampstead
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
  • Diocese: Post-1835 - Oxford, Pre-1836 - Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Reading
  • Poor Law Union: Easthampstead
  • Hundred: Ripplesmere
  • Province: Canterbury