West Hanney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Other places in the parish include: East Hanney and Poughley.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1564
Hanney (West), a parish in the hund. and union of Wantage, county of Berks; 3¾ miles north-north-east of Wantage, on the eastern bank of the river Ock, and in the line of the Great Western railway, and the Berks and Wilts canal. It comprises the township of East Hanney, and the chapelry of Lyford. Living, a discharged vicarage, with the curacy of Lyford, formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in the dio. of Oxford; rated at £22 12s. 6d.; gross income £210. The church is a handsome Norman edifice. There are 4 daily schools here, 2 of which are endowed. Charities, in 1836, about £614 16s. 2d. per annum, £585 9s. of which consisted of the proceeds of Oliver Ashcombe’s endowment for 10 almshouses at Lyford, which are inhabited by 3 poor people from East Hanney, 3 from West Hanney, and 4 from Lyford. The annual expenditure from this charity, in 1836, amounted to £201 5s., and it was proposed to erect 8 new almshouses. Acres 3,060. Houses 231. A. P. £6,848. Pop., in 1801, 989; in 1831, 1,161. Poor rates, in 1838, £653 4s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Hanney is a parish, consisting of the townships of East and West Hanney, in the hundred, union and county court district of Wantage, rural deanery of Wantage, archdeaconry of Berks, and diocese of Oxford.
West Hanney is near the line of the Great Western Railway and the Wilts and Berks Canal, about 4 miles north-north-east from Wantage, and 7½ from Abingdon. The church of St. James is a handsome Norman structure, with nave, chancel, south aisle, and square embattled tower containing 7 bells: in the chancel are some good brasses, chiefly belonging to the Ayshcombe family. The register dates from the year 1582. The living is a vicarage, annual value £205, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, and held by the Rev. James Macdougal M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. A National school for boys and girls serves for both East and West Hanney. The principal landowners are Lt.-Colonel Loyd-Lindsay, M.P., W. Morrison, Esq., and the Messrs. Godfrey. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and turnips. The township comprises 1,300 acres, and the population in 1861 was 384.
Post Office. — William Bursom, receiver. Letters arrive from Wantage at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.15 p.m. Wantage is the nearest money order office
East Hanney is situated on the river Ock, about 7 miles south-west from Abingdon, and 3½ north from Wantage. The Wantage road station of the Great Western Railway is situated about three quarters of a mile from the village. A chapel of ease, St. James-the-Less, has been erected, by subscription, from designs by O. E. Street, Esq.: it will seat upwards of 150 persons. The township comprises 600 acres of very rich arable land; the population in 1801 was 563.
Parish Clerk, James Bunce.
Post Office. — John Piggot, receiver. Letters arrive from Wantage at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 6.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Wantage
National School, Robert Frost, master; Miss Susan Frost, mistress
Carriers to : —
Abingdon — Benjamin Dunsdon & Charles Herman, to ‘Oxford Arms,’ monday
Oxford — Lloyd, from West Hanney, Saturday
Wantage — Benjamin Dunsdon & Charles Herman, to ‘Blue Boar,’ Wednesday & Saturday
Chapman Mr. John
Macdougal Rev. James, M.A. [vicar], Vicarage
Athawes William, farmer
Belcher Alfred, wheelwright
Belcher James, wheelwright
Bullock John, farmer
Bunce James, mason
Carr Charles Prince, Lamb
Cox William, blacksmith
Fuller Thomas, shoe maker
Greenaway Joseph, farmer, Manor farm
Heading William, farmer
Higgs Stephen, shopkeeper
Lloyd Edwin, cattle dealer
Lloyd Henry, cattle dealer
Lloyd Richard, shopkeeper & beer retlr
Monk James, farmer
Talmage Edward, shopkeeper
Wheeler William (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Wicks John, beer retailer
Jay Rev. Charles Ashfleld [curate]
Stephenson Mr. Thomas
Aldworth Charles, carpenter
Belcher Henry, shopkeeper
Betteridge Henry, farmer
Betteridge John, Crown
Cox Charles, blacksmith
Dandridge Dennis, farmer & miller
Dormer Thomas, farmer
Fisher John, farmer
Fisher Joseph, farmer
Godfrey William, Black Horse
Hammand Rebecca ( Mrs.), beer retailer
Herman Charles, shopkeeper
Herman John B. shopkeeper
Lalley Jethro, farmer
Lovegrove Charles, Plough
Lyford James, farmer
Lyford John, farmer
Piggot John, boot & shoe maker
Richards Benjamin, shopkeeper
Tyrrell Edward, farmer
Tyrrell John B. farmer
West Daniel, miller
Source: Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire; E. R. Kelly; Kelly & Co., London. 1869.