Langford, Berkshire and Oxfordshire Family History Guide

Langford, a parish partly in the hund. of Farringdon, county of Berks, and partly in that of Bampton, union of Farringdon, county of Oxford; 3 miles north-east hy north of Lechlade. It includes the township of Grafton, the hamlet of Radcutt, and the tything of Little Farringdon.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Langford

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1675

Little Faringdon

  • Parish registers: 1865
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1865

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Langford

  • Eaton Hastings
  • Broughton Poggs
  • Southrop
  • Kelmscot
  • Clanfield
  • Faringdon
  • Eastleach Martin
  • Bradwell
  • Lechlade

Historical Descriptions

Langford

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Langford, a parish partly in the hund. of Farringdon, county of Berks, and partly in that of Bampton, union of Farringdon, county of Oxford; 3 miles north-east hy north of Lechlade. It includes the township of Grafton, the hamlet of Radcutt, and the tything of Little Farringdon. Living, a vicarage with the curacy of Little Farringdon, a peculiar of the prebendary of Langford church, in the cathedral of Lincoln; rated at £21 19s. 4½d.; nett income £349. Tithes, &c, commuted in 1803. Patron, in 1835, W. Vizard, Esq. There are 2 small daily schools in this parish. Charities, in 1837, £17 10s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £443 7s. Acres 4,200. Houses 125. A.P. £3,128. Pop., in 1801, 356; in 1831, 673.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Little Faringdon

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Farringdon (Little), a tything in the parish of Langford, county of Berks; 2 miles north east of Lechlade. Living, a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Langford. Vicarial tithes commuted in 1788. Acres 1,010. Houses 31. A.P. £1,869. Pop., in 1801, 131; in 1831, 156. Poor rates, in 1838. £118 5s

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland Gorton 1833

Faringdon Little, co. Berks.

P. T. Lechlade (76) 2 m. NE b E. Pop. 140.

A tithing in the parish of Langford and hundred of Faringdon.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Administration

  • County: Oxfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Faringdon
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Banbury, Court of the Peculiar of Langford
  • Diocese: Oxford
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1846 - None, Post-1845 - Witney
  • Poor Law Union: Faringdon
  • Hundred: Bampton (Oxfordshire)
  • Province: Canterbury