Harwell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Harwell, a parish in the hund. of Moreton, union of Wantage, county of Berks; 6½ miles east by north of Wantage, and in the line of the Great Western railway. One of the termini of a projected railway from Oxford to the Great Western is in this parish. Living, a vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in the dio. of Oxford; rated at £12 4s. 2d. ; nett income £220. Patron, in 1835, Sir J. Chetwode, Bart. There are here a daily school, endowed with 5 cottages and 22 acres of land; and 3 infant schools; also an almshouse for 6 widows. Acres 2,720. Houses 157. A.P. £4,709. Pop., in 1801, 671; in 1831, 780. Poor rates, in 1838, £552 19s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.