Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin:
Parishes adjacent to Besselsleigh
Besselsleigh, a parish in the hund. of Hormer, union of Abingdon, county of Berks; 4 miles north-west of Abingdon, and about 6 north of the Great Western railway. Living, a discharged rectory, formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in the dio. of Oxford; valued at £4 17s. 3½d.; gross income £200. Patron, in 1835, W. J. Lenthall, Esq. The inhabitants of this parish are entitled to send their children to the school at Appleton, erected and endowed by Sir R. Fettiplace. W. Lenthall, Esq., speaker of the Long parliament, resided at the ancient manor-house of Besselsleigh, having purchased it of the Fettiplace family. Pop., in 1801, 99; in 1831, 124. Houses 21. Acres 960. A.P. £1,153. Poor rates, in 1837, £52.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Besselsleigh, 3 m. N.E. Abingdon. P. 106
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.