Baulking with Woolstone is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Berkshire, created in 1848 from Baulking chapelry and Woolstone chapelry in Uffington Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Balking, Bethelking, Baulking, Balking with Woolstone
Other places in the parish include: Woolstone.
Parish registers begin: 1849
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist
Baulking, anciently Bethelking, a hamlet and chapelry, formerly a market-town, in the parish of Uffington, hund. of Shrivenham, county of Berks; 3½ miles south-east of Farringdon, in the vicinity of the Great Western railway, and Berks and Wilts canal. Here is a chapel, the curacy of which is annexed to the vicarage of Uppingham. The great and small tithes of this township, the property of the lay-impropriator and vicar, commuted in 1777. Pop., in 1801, 173; in 1831, 185. Houses 19. Acreage with the parish. A.P. £2,798. Poor rates, in 1837, £151.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Baulking, 5 m. fr. Wantage. P. 193.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.