Ardington, 2 miles N.E. Wantage. P. 405.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Is a parish and village in the hundred and union of Wantage, and diocese of Oxford, two miles from the Wantage road station on the Great Western Railway, which crosses the Berks and Wilts Canal in this parish. The church of the Holy Trinity is in the Early English style. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The population in 1861 was 354; the parish comprises. 1,775 acres. Colonel Lloyd Lindsay is lord of the manor and owner of the soil.
Letters through Wantage.
Barnes Rev. Ralph, M.A.
Tyrwhitt Rev. R., M.A.
Ballard Joseph, blacksmith
Brown Charles, carpenter
Chase James, Boar’s Head
Dolby Edwin, clerk of works to Colonel Lindsay
Phillips John, farmer and maltster
Richards Thomas, farmer
Taylor Charles, shopkeeper
Watson Thomas, farm bailiff to Colonel Lindsay
Whitfield Wm., farmer, Aldington farm
Source: Edward Cassey and Co.’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868.