Appleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Eaton.
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin: 1569
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker and Independent/Congregational.
Appleton, 5 m. N.W. Abingdon. P. 496.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Appleton is a parish, in the hundred of Ock, union of Abingdon, and diocese of Oxford, situated about 5½ miles north-west from Abingdon, and 7 south-west from Oxford, bounded by the Thames on the west. The church of St. Lawrence is a plain structure, with nave, chancel, and square embattled tower containing ten very fine musical bells, which are deservedly much admired. There is an excellent band of change ringers. In the interior are several memorials to the families of the present and former lords of the manor. The living is a rectory, annual value £307, with residence, in the patronage of the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford. The Manor House is supposed to have .been built in the reign of Henry II.; it was formerly surrounded by a moat, part of which has lately been filled up. The manor of Appleton was anciently in the possession of the families of Fitz Warine, Caston, Petyt, and Fettyplace; it was purchased of the Hanleys by the ancestors of the late Robert James Southby, Esq. Here is a dissenting chapel and a free school for eight boys, which was endowed in 1604 by Sir R. Fettyplace. There are other charities connected with the parish, producing about £50 per annum.
The population in 1861 was 549; the parish, including the township of Eaton, comprises 1977 acres.
Post Office. — George White, receiver. Letters arrive from Abingdon at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. The nearest money-order office is at Abingdon. Letters through Abingdon.
Butler Rev. William James, B.D.
Jones Mr. Jesse
Lowndes James B., Esq., Manor house
Bevers Edmund, surgeon-dentist
Bennett Alfred, builder, wheelwright, &c.
Bennett William, farmer
Busby James, shopkeeper, baker & farmer
Calvert Thomas, farmer
Clandfield William, farmer
Corbut Sarah, shopkeeper
Hollifield W. S., plumber, &c.
Hollifield — , carrier
Jones Jesse, jun., farmer
Kimber John, farmer, Manor farm
Lambourn Samuel, beer retailer
Tarrant Daniel, farmer
Webb Aaron, Plough inn
Webb William, farmer
White Frederic B., church bellhanger, bell founder, and church and turret clock maker
White George, Three Horseshoes, and blacksmith and post office
Ashby John, farmer, Manor farm
Bye Richard, farmer
Godfrey William, farmer
Shepherd John, boot and shoemaker
Skinner Mary, Bells inn
Source: Edward Cassey and Co.’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Berkshire and Oxfordshire 1868.