Aldworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Berkshire.
Parish registers begin: 1556
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Aldworth. a parish in the hund. of Compton, union of Wantage, Berks ; 4 miles east by south of East Ilsley. Living, a vicarage formerly in the archd. of Berks and dio. of Salisbury, now in the dio. of Oxford; rated at £8 16s. 0½d.; gross income £472. Patrons, the master and fellows of St. John’s college, Cambridge. Beach farm, in this parish, is supposed to be the site of an ancient baronial castle and mansion belonging to the family of De la Beche. Pop., in 1801, 273; in 1831, 288. Houses 59. Acres 1,960. A. P. £2,201. Poor rates, in 1837, £155.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Aldworth, 3 miles S. E. Ilsley. P. 314.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Aldworth, or Alder, (Berks) a small village, pleasantly situated on a hill about 4 miles S. E. of llsley. It appears to have been a place of great antiquity, and formed part of the possessions of the family of De la Beche, who flourished here during the reigns of Edward II. and III. The site of this mansion is now called Beche Farm, but no vestiges of the ancient structure can be traced. The church is a very old building, containing 9 capital monuments of the De la Beche family; and in the church-yard is a prodigiously large yew tree, the trunk measuring 9 yards in circumference at upwards of 4 feet from the ground. The shape is somewhat like that of an urn, and the branches spread to a considerable distance.
Source: Crosby’s Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.