Barton in the Clay is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Alternative names: Barton-le-Cley
Parish church: St Nicholas
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Barton-in-the-Clay, 3 m. S. from Selsoe. P. 855
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Barton-in-the-Clay, a parish in the hund. of Flitt, union of Luton, county of Bedford; 3½ miles south of Silsoe. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £26 9s. 7d.; gross in come £420; in the patronage of the Crown. The great and small tithes, the property of the clerical rector, were commuted in 1809. There is a Baptist chapel here. The parish possesses three daily schools, one of which is endowed with £32 per annum, and a Sunday school. Pop., in 1801, 448; in 1831, 720. Houses 146. Acres 2,270. A. P. £2,790. Poor rates, in 1837, £294.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Barton-In-The-Clay, co. Bedford.
P. T. Silsoe (40) 3 m. S. Pop. 608.
A parish in the hundred of Flitt; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; charged in K. B. 26l. 9s. 7d.; church ded. to St. Nicholas; patron, the King. In this parish is a celebrated petrifying spring.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.