Aspley Guise is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Parish church: St Botolph
Parish registers begin: 1563
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Aspley Guise, 2 m. N.E. Woburn. P. 1139
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Aspley-Guise, a parish in the hund. of Manshead, union of Woburn, county of Bedford; 2 miles north by west from Woburn. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Bedford and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £15 16s. 10½d. ; gross income £215. Patron, in 1835, the duke of Bedford. All tithes, moduses, &c., the property of the clerical rector, were commuted in 1760. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel here. A daily school was begun in 1833; there is also a boarding school for boys. A small portion of this parish stretches into Buckinghamshire. Pop., in 1801, 679; in 1831, 1,014. Houses 196. Acres 1,960. A. P. £2,544. Poor rates, in 1837, £281.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Aspley-Guise, co. Bedford.
P. T. Woburn (41) 2 m. N b W. Pop. 848.
A parish in the hundred of Manshead; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln; charged in K. B. 15l. 16s. 10½d.; church ded. to St. Botolph; patron (1829) Duke of Bedford. Fullers earth is produced in this parish, and there is also a spring to which petrifying qualities are ascribed.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
1818 Digest of Returns to Circular Letter from the Select Committee on Education of the Poor, &c.
|Un-Endowed Day Schools||Un-Endowed Day Schools|
Schools - none.
Sunday Schools - A Sunday school, supported by voluntary contributions, in which 60 girls and 30 boys are instructed; and a classical and commercial school.
Observations - The poorer classes are desirous of having the means of education.
Notes - Return signed by Thomas Farmer, rector.