Last Updated on
Badger is a parish and village, in the parliamentary borough of Wenlock, 5 miles from Albrighton, and 7 from Bridgnorth, in the southern division of the county, Shifnal union, Brimstree hundred, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Giles, a Gothic stone building, rebuilt in 1834, contains an organ, and three monuments. The living is a rectory, yearly value £250, with residence and 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Robert Henry Cheney, Esq. There is a private school for 50 poor children, supported by Edward Cheney, Esq. Badger Hall, the seat of Edward Cheney, Esq., is a noble brick mansion of modern style; in the grounds adjoining the house is a very beautiful wooded dell, called “Badger Dingle,” through which a small stream flows, and which is much celebrated in the county, and resorted to by many visitors in the summer season. Edward Cheney, Esq., is lord of the manor and owns the whole parish, except 200 acres, posses by Mrs. A. Trevor. At the time of Domesday Survey, this manor was held by Osbern Fitz-Richard, Baron of Burford and Richard’s Castle, whose heirs continued for centuries afterwards lords of the manor. The charities amount to 26s. The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is red sandstone. The area is 920 acres, and the population in 1861 was 178; gross estimated rental, £1,592; rateable value, £1,421.
Letters are received through Shifnal.
Boddington Rev. T. F., M.A., Rectory
Cheney Edward, esq. Badger Hall
Green Mrs., Badger heath
Bate Richard, farmer
Bowen Edward Henry, farmer and miller, Badger heath
Harrison William, bailiff to Edward Cheney, esq.
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871.