Ratlinghope is a parish, comprising the townships of Stilt and Gatten, four miles west from Church Stretton station, and 172 from London, in the Southern division of the county, Bishop’s Castle division of Purslow hundred, Clun union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Margaret is a small stone building, consisting of nave and small tower with two bells. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £68, in the gift of John Charles Adyss Scott, Esq. J. C. A. Scott, Esq., and M. W. H. Harrods, Esq., are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The yearly value of the charities is £1 8s. The soil is sandy and clay; sub-soil, rocky. Gross estimated rental of the parish, to £2,773; rateable value, £2,426. The area of the parish is 3,690 acres of land; the population in 1861 was 285, in a wild and lonely country, the approach to which from Church Stretton is across the Longmynd range of hills, and during the winter season is frequently impassable.
Stitt and Gatten are 10 miles south-west from Shrewsbury. At Gatten there are copper mines. There are two charities, one of £20 a year, and another of £10, which are annually distributed to the poor, the former on Holy Thursday, the latter on St. Thomas’s Day.
Letters are received through Shrewsbury.
Cook Thomas, farmer, The Coppice
Davies Thomas, farmer
Elison Hannah, farmer, Coates
Gwilliam Benjamin, farmer, Rock farm
Hodges James, miller and brick maker
Jones Thomas, farmer, Manor house
Munslow William, farmer, Far Dronford
Partridge Thomas, Bridges, & blacksmith
Pinches Ann, farmer, Marsh
Sutton John, farmer, Belmore
Wardman John, farmer, Near Dronford
Kirkham Cornelius, farmer, Far Gatten
Kirkham James, farmer
Munslow John, farmer
Slater George, farmer
Nottley Rev. William G. C.
Fowler George, farmer
Groves William, farmer
Pinches Samuel, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871