Ruckley and Langley form a small township, about 1 mile east from Acton Burnell, and 5 ½ miles west from Much Wenlock. The chapel is a small structure, where divine service is performed only twice a year. The living is a curacy, and the parishioners have the power of electing an incumbent, paying his a stipend of about 30s a year. Sir Charles Frederick J. Smythe, Bart., is lord of the manor and sole landowner. King Charles during his troubles was for a short period concealed at Langley Hall, an ancient mansion, now a farm house in the occupation of Mr. Hayward. The population in 1861 was 78. Gross estimated rental, £1,385; rateable value, £1,320.
Letters through Shrewsbury.
Edwards John, farmer
Perks William, tailor
Powell Thomas, farmer
Vines Jesse, farmer
Hayward Mr., farmer, Langley hall
Steadman Richard, farmer, Park gate
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871