Willey is a parish, about 2 miles from Broseley, and 4 from Much Wenlock, in the Southern division of the county, Wenlock franchise, Madeley union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. John is an ancient stone edifice in the Early English style. The living is a rectory, with a perpetual curacy of Barrow annexed, joint yearly value £200, with residence and 29 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Lord Forester, the lord of the manor and chief landowner. The population in 1861 was 149; the area is 1,354 acres; gross estimated rental, £2,173; rateable value, £2,066.
Letters through Bridgnorth.
Cartwright Henry, esq., The Dean
Forester Lord, Willey park
Rowley Rev. Thomas, D.D., Rectory
Davies Stephen, farmer, Lodge
Gough Edward, farmer, Bold farm
Raby Edmund, farmer, Bank
Owen Joseph, steward to Lord Forester, The Old hall
Smith Moses, farmer, Dean corner
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871