Last Updated on

Kinnersley is a parish and village, 4 miles from Wellington, and 13 ½ from Shrewsbury, in the Northern division of the county, Newport division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington union, and diocese of Lichfield, situated on the Weald Moors, between Wellington and Newport. The church of St. Chad is an old stone building in the Early English style. The living is a rectory, yearly value £480 and 81 acres of glebe land, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Sutherland. There is a school, which is chiefly supported by the Duke of Sutherland and the Rector. About half a mile from the village is a large rampart, which encloses upwards of 20 acres of land, and surrounds the buildings of the Wall Farm; the encampment is supposed by some to be British The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is sandy; the subsoil is chiefly red sandstone. The population of the entire parish in 1861 was 208; the area is 1,789 acres; gross estimated rental, £3,133; rateable value, £2,871.
Post Office. – Richard Williams, postmaster Letters arrive from Wellington at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4 45 p.m.

Burn Rev. Andrew, M.A. Rectory
Hooper Mrs. Ann Mary
Berks William, shopkeeper
Brown Thomas, farmer
Davies John, shoe maker
Dean William, wheelwright
Gough William, boot and shoe maker
Heath Thomas, shopkeeper
Hooper George Harry, farmer
Hughes Thos. & Geo. farmers, Wall farm
Ogle Richard, farmer
Taylor Sarah, farmer, Sydney house
Weston Richard, farmer
Weston William, blacksmith
Williams Richard, Crown Inn, & farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871