Last Updated on
Glazeley is a small village and parish, 3 ½ miles from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford; it is situated on the road from Bridgnorth to Cleobury Mortimer. The church is an old rubble stone building, in good repair. The living is a rectory, united with Chetton Deuxhill and the chapelry of Loughton, annual value £86, with residence and 3 ½ acres of glebe land, in the gift of Thomas Whitmore Wylde Browne, Esq., J.P. Thomas Whitmore Wylde Browne, Esq., D.L., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; the subsoil is similar. The area is 636 acres, and the rateable value, £706.
Letters are received by foot post through Bridgnorth.
Brown Thomas Whitmore Wylde, esq. D.L. Woodlands hall
Paine Rev. Jesse, M.A.
Gwilt John, cowkeeper
Wilson James Wilkes, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871