Frodesley is a parish and village, 8 miles from Shrewsbury, 4 from the Dorrington and Leebotwood stations, and 169 ½ from London, in the Southern division of the county, Condover division of Condover hundred, Atcham union, county court district, and diocese of Lichfield, bounded on the south by a considerable hill, which forms a connecting link between the Caradoc, Lawley, and Wrekin. In 1809 the church of St. Mark was erected on the site of the old one, and is probably the third church since the Norman Accession. The living is a discharged rectory; the tithes are commuted for £405 per annum, and there are 23 acres of glebe land; it is in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Thomas Littlewood Gleadowe, M.A. Bricks and drain tiles are made here. The Roman Watling street runs for about 2 miles through this parish. The Hall, part of which only remains, has been a fine structure, in the Elizabethan style. Sir Charles Frederick Joseph Smythe, Bart., who is lord of the manor, and Colonel Corbett, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The area is 2,188 acres, and the population in 1861 was 256; gross estimated rental, £2,629; rateable value, £2409.
Letters arrive at 7 30 a.m., dispatched at 6 20 p.m.
Gleadowe Rev. Thomas Littlewood, M.A.
Heath Mr. Thomas
Durnell Eleanor, beer retailer
Durnell George, boot and shoe maker
Durnell Thos. shopkeeper & blacksmith
Harvey James, shoemaker & shopkeeper
Hide Thomas, farmer, Hall farm
Hotchkiss Jeremiah, cooper
Hotchkiss John, farmer
Hotchkiss Richard, farmer
Jobson George, brick and tile maker
Meredith Edmund Andrews, farmer
Oliver John, farmer, Lane
Parry William, farmer, Lodge
Pinches Thomas, carpenter
Tanner Richard, farmer, Lane
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871