Fitz, with the townships of Grafton and Mytton, is a village and parish, 5 ½ miles from Shrewsbury, in the Southern division of the county, Albrighton division of Brimstree hundred, Atcham union, and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Paul is a plain brick building, erected in the year 1722. The living is a rectory, yearly value £266, with residence and about 32 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. There is a small Primitive Methodist chapel here. The principal landowners are Lieut.-Col. Kenyon-Slaney, John Bather, Esq., and Richard Middleton, Esq. The soil is varied, from strong to light loam; subsoil, chiefly clay. The area is 1,512 acres, and the population in 1861 was 323; gross estimated rental, £2,984; rateable value, £2,820.
Grafton is a township, in the parish of Fitz, containing 550 acres. Lieut.-Col. Kenyon-Slaney is principal landowner.
Mytton is also a township in this parish; it is the birth place of Edward Waring, M.D., whose mathematical publications prove the extent and profundity of his knowledge. He was born in 1734.
Letters arrive from Bomere Heath at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 6 30 p.m.
Bearcroft Rev. Thomas, M.A.
Middleton Richard, esq. Fitz manor
Davies Edward, farmer, Manor farm
Davies William, farmer
Vaughan William, Fitz mill
Carew Rev. Gerald, M.A. Mytton hall
Hamer Mrs. Mytton house
Blake Edward, miller Mytton mill
Croft Richard, wheelwright
Vaughan Thomas, farmer
Winn Thomas, farmer
Kenyon Mrs. Grafton lodge
Bowen Charles, blacksmith
Davies Edward, farmer
Davis William, farmer, Mock hall
Howells Edward, farmer, Grafton farm
Price Richard, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871