Ashford Carbonell – Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871

Ashford Carbonell is a parish and village, three miles south-east from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Mary is a small stone structure, with a tower containing three bells.  The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to that of Little Hereford, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester, joint annual value £230 (up to the close of 1868, since which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have made a grant of £120 a year for a resident curate.)  The Rev. William Yates Foot, B.A., is the resident curate.  The manorial rights are divided between Miss Hall and F. W. Pritchard, Esq.  Miss Hall, John Carter, and F. W. Pritchard, Esqrs., are the principal landowners.  Hugh Carbonel figures in the Nomina Villarum of March, 1316, as lord of the vill of Ashford.  The soil is gravelly.  The population in 1861 was 282, and the area is 1,478 acres; gross estimated rental, £3,045; rateable value, £2,583.
Letters through Ludlow, arrive at 7 45 a.m.; dispatched at 4 30 p.m.
Bale Capt. William, Ashford villa
Foot Rev. William Yates, B.A., Burnt house
Hall Miss, Ashford house
Mackay Mr. John
Pennant Hon. George Sholto Douglas, Ashford court
Salwey Alfred, esq., Temeside
Bathurst John, farmer
Blayney Arthur, farmer
Broome George, joiner and wheelwright
Brown John, farmer
Carter John, farmer, Brookhouse
Collier James, plumber
Davis James, carpenter
Froggatt Thomas, farmer, New house
Haywood Thomas, farmer, Huntingdon
Higginson Susan, farmer
Hughes John, farmer
Jones George, blacksmith
Jones Richard, wheelwright
Lowe Jane, farmer
Mackay Miss, boarding school
Medlicott Thomas, farmer
Preece Richard, shoe maker
Roberts William, farmer, Huntingdon
Small Edward, farmer, Serpent farm
Wadams Samuel, Bridge inn, and miller
Watkins James, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871