Abdon Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
Abdon is a small parish, 10 miles north from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, lower division of the hundred of Munslow, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford; it is situated on the western side of the Brown Clee Hill, and overlooks Corve Dale, through which flows the small river Corve. The church is a small plain building. The living is a rectory; the tithes are commuted for the sum of £128 yearly, with residence; and about 50 acres of glebe land; in the gift of the Earl of Pembroke. A school for boys and girls is supported by the Earl of Pembroke; there is a charity of the annual value of 12s. The Earl of Pembroke is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is chiefly clay; the subsoil is lime, rock, and old red sandstone. The population in 1861 was 170, and the area is 1,134 acres: gross estimated rental, £810; rateable value, £693. Betwixt Abdon Bury and the village of Clee St. Margaret is the Roman Station – Nordy Bank, one of the most perfect remains in the Kingdom of the Roman period.
Letters are received through Church Stretton.
Carrier. – John Cooper, to Ludlow, Monday, and to Bridgnorth, Saturday.
Sheppard, Rev. J. L. The Rectory
Bradley Misses, farmers
Bradley William, farmer
Cooper John, shopkeeper
Cooper Levy, lime burner
Hitchings James, farmer
Norgrove William, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.