Clifford Chambers Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Clifford Chambers is a village and parish, 9 miles from Campden station, on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton line of railway, 2 from Stratford-on-Avon, 14 from Evesham, 12 from Broadway, and 40 from Gloucester, in the upper division of the Hundred of Tewkesbury and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and Union of Stratford-on-Avon. The church is a stone building, having a tower, aisles, chancel and 5 bells. The living is a rectory; the Rev. Francis Annesley is the present incumbent. The acreage contained in the parish is 1,593 acres, and the rateable value £2,368. The population, in 1851, was 305.
Willicott, Cold Comfort, and Wincot, are farms.
Adams Mr. Thomas
Annesley Rev. Francis
Carpenter Mr. Thomas
Clarke Richard, esq
Cockbill Miss Elizabeth
Adams Thomas, farmer
Baker Henry, timber merchant & carpntr.
Baldwin John, farmer
Beasley Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Blunn Thomas, saddler & harness maker
Buller Frederick, farmer
Chambers Mrs., farmer
Field John, butcher
Fisher William, shopkeeper
Hiron Christopher, parish clerk
Hiron Thomas, tailor
Hyde Thomas, miller
Meadows John, farmer, Willicott
Reason Joseph, New inn & butcher
Silvester Wm. farmer, Cold Comfort frm.
Smith George, farmer
Smith John, blacksmith
Smith Seth, blacksmith
Spilsbury William, wheelwright
Stanley William, shoemaker
Ward Charles, farmer, Wincot
Wheeler Charles, shoemaker
Pots Office – William Stanley, receiver. Letters are delivered at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Stratford.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.