Childs Wickham Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Childs Wickham is a township, village and parish, 6 miles from Evesham station, on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton line of railway, 1 ½ from Broadway, 26 from Gloucester, and 92 north-west from London, in the lower division of the Hundred of Kiftsgate, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and Evesham union. The living is a vicarage of the yearly value of £280, in the gift of the Rev. Thomas Marsden. The church is a stone building, having a spire, nave, aisles, and 5 bells. The Rev. Octavius Frere Owen is the present incumbent. The acreage contained in the parish, including the hamlet of Murcot is 1,821 acres, and the rateable value is £2,980. Sir Thomas Phillips, Bart., is lord of the manor. The population, in 1851, was 466.
Mount Pleasant is a farm.
Owen Rev. Octavius Frere, Vicarage
Belcher Joseph, blacksmith
Beyzand Herbert, carpenter
Callow Edward, farmer, Mount Plesnt. fm.
Crump Martha (Mrs.), farmer, Murcot
Davis William, beer retailer
Perrin Catherine (Mrs.), farmer
Phipps Richard, farmer
Powell Joseph, miller, Murcot
Roberts John, farmer
Rogers James, shopkeeper
Rogers James, miller
Slatter James, farmer
Smith Joseph, farmer, Murcot
Wells Robert, farmer
Letters are received through Broadway, which is also the nearest money order office.
Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.