Cherrington Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Cherrington is a township, parish and village, 5 miles west from Tetbury road station, 5 south-east from Stroud, 4 north from Tetbury, 8 south-west-by-south from Cirencester, and 98 from London, in Longtree Hundred, Tetbury, Union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol archbishopric. It is situated 1 mile east from the Tetbury road to Minchinhampton. The church of St. Nicholas is an old stone building, in the Saxon style; has nave, chancel and porch. The living is a rectory, worth £176 yearly, in the gift of the Rev. W. George, who is also the incumbent. There is a mixed school, supported by Miss George. The population, in 1851, was 220, and the acreage is 2,576. The soil is light loamy, the subsoil is oolite. – Gordon, Esq., is lord of the manor, and the Rev. William George and Robert Kilmister are chief landowners.
Westrip is a hamlet. Trull and The Grove are the names of farms.
George Rev. William, Rectory
Lane Mr. Thomas
Fowles John, farmer & miller, Westrip
Fowles Sarah (Mrs.), baker & shopkpr
Hall Jesse, baker & farmer
Kilmister Robert, farmer, Trull farm
Roberts Richd. carpenter & whlwright
Stafford Frederick, farmer, Grove farm
White John, farmer, Cherrington farm
White Thomas, ‘Waggon & Horses’
Letters through Stroud, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.