Staverton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Staverton is a parish and village in the lower division of the Hundred of Deerhurst and Union of Cheltenham, 4 ¾ miles west-by-north from Cheltenham. The population, in 1851, was 278. The living is a vicarage, annexed with Boddington, income £436, in the patronage of John Locke Blagdon, Esq.; the Rev. Thomas Purnell is the vicar. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient building, in the early style of English architecture. Acreage, 770.
Staverton House is the residence of Henry Sheldon, Esq., and Staverton Court of Captain St. Clair.
Haydon is a hamlet.
Purnell Rev. Thomas, B.A., [vicar] St. Clair Capt. Staverton court
Sheldon Henry, esq. Staverton house
Arkell John, farmer & cattle dealer
Bowles George, sexton & parish clerk
Cavell James, coal dealer
Cavell John, farmer
Drew Thomas, grocer
Fisher John, ‘Pheasant,’ & grocer, Golden valley
Harris Benjamin, butcher
Harris John, farmer, Vicarage farm
Harris Hannah Elizabeth (Miss), postmistress
Hyde William, farmer
Lane William, ‘Plough,’ & wheelwright
Stroud William, grocer, Golden Valley
Welch Walter, tailor
Withers Isaac, beer retailer
Post Office – Miss Hannah Eliza Harris, postmistress. Letters received through Cheltenham at ¼ to 9 a.m.; dispatched 5 p.m. summer & ¼ to 4 p.m. winter. Cheltenham is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.