Swindon (near Cheltenham) Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Swindon, a township, parish and village, in the Hundred and Union of Cheltenham, 2 ¼ miles north-north-west from Cheltenham. The living is a rectory, worth £376 yearly, in Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; patron, Lewis Griffiths, Esq.; rector, the Rev. Lewis Richard Cook Griffiths, M.A., who resides at the Rectory; his curate is the Rev. Edward Denies Burrowes, B.A. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an old building, in the Norman style, with some additions of later years; it has a tower with six unequal sides, and 4 bells.
Swindon Hall is the residence of John Surman Surman, Esq. The population, in 1851, was 221, and the acreage is 721. The soil is productive, and part is laid out in market gardens.
Griffiths Rev. Lewis Richard Cook, M.A., the Rectory
Hamilton Rev. James, M.A.
Neale Francis, esq.
Surman John Surman, Esq. Swindon hall
Welch Capt. R. G., R.N.
Willis Sherlock, esq. M.D. Manor house
Acocks John, blacksmith & farrier
Baker Richard, market gardener
Buckle Jane (Miss), farmer
Cook Thomas, market gardener
Fawkes Charles, farmer
Gibbins William, farmer
Gosnett Thomas, marker gardener
Leach Susan (Mrs.), farmer
Sheepway John Joseph, farmer
Wasley Thomas, grocer
Yeend Thomas, ‘Cross Hands.’ & brewer
Young William, market gardener
Letters are included in the delivery from Cheltenham, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.